Splunk Enterprise

How to create geo map from manually extracted values ?

georgear7
Communicator

I want to create geo map using 'geostats' command and am extracting and assigning country, latitude and longitude using eval command.

Source log file:

Application_NameTransaction_NameStatus
NP_DEV_AUHomepage0
NP_DEV_VNHomepage0
NP_DEV_AULogin1
NP_DEV_HKHomepage1
NP_DEV_IDLogin0
NP_DEV_IDHomepage0
NP_DEV_VNLogin0
NP_DEV_HKLogin1

Below is my query.

index=foo host=ab03u source=*sm.log sourcetype=bol_logs
| rex field=Application_Name "NP_DEV_(?<Market>\w+.*)"
| rex field=Application_Name "NP_DEV_(?<Market>\w+.*)"
| eval Country=case(Market=="HK","Hong Kong", Market=="TH","Thailand", Market=="VN","Vietnam", Market=="AU","Australia", Market=="ID","Indonesia", Market=="PH","Philippines", Market=="MY","Malaysia", Market=="SG","Singapore", Market=="CN","China")
| chart values(Status) by Country,Transaction_Name
| eval Result=case((Homepage!=Login), "Failure", (Homepage==0 AND Login==0), "Success", (Homepage==1 AND Login==1), "Failure")
| eval latitude=case(Country=="Hong Kong","22.396428", Country=="Thailand","15.870032", Country=="Vietnam","14.058324", Country=="Australia","-25.274398", Country=="Indonesia","-0.789275", Country=="Philippines","12.879721", Country=="Malaysia","4.210484", Country=="Singapore","1.352083", Country=="China","35.86166")
| eval longitude=case(Country=="Hong Kong","114.109497", Country=="Thailand","100.992541", Country=="Vietnam","108.277199", Country=="Australia","133.775136", Country=="Indonesia","113.921327", Country=="Philippines","121.774017", Country=="Malaysia","101.975766", Country=="Singapore","103.819836", Country=="China","104.195397")
| geostats latfield=latitude longfield=longitude values(Result) by Country

So, my final output will be,

CountryResult
AustraliaFailure
VietnamSuccess
Hong KongFailure
IndonesiaSuccess

From this table i want to create one geo map using 'geostats' command, output should be in bubbles. and whichever country having 'Failure' as the Result, it should shows in red color bubble & success should be in green color bubble.

When i used above query, it's not showing any result for cluster map.

@skakehi_splunk @rnowitzki @richgalloway @woodcock @somesoni2 @niketn ..Need all your expertise on this.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @georgear7 ,

I think I have what you need.

This SPL makes up some sample data of yours and puts it on a map:

| makeresults 
| eval "Country" = "Australia Vietnam HongKong Indonesia"
| makemv Country
| mvexpand Country
| eval Result = case(Country="Australia",2,Country="Vietnam",1,Country="HongKong",2, Country="Indonesia",1)
| eval latitude=case(Country=="HongKong","22.396428", Country=="Vietnam","14.058324", Country=="Australia","-25.274398", Country=="Indonesia","-0.789275")
| eval longitude=case(Country=="HongKong","114.109497", Country=="Vietnam","108.277199", Country=="Australia","133.775136", Country=="Indonesia","113.921327")
| geostats latfield=latitude longfield=longitude count by Result

=> Save it as Dashboard Panel and edit the source.
=> Add this to the Options:

<option name="mapping.fieldColors">{"1":"0x65a637","2":"0xd93f3c"}</option>

Et voila:

geostats_colors_test.PNG

I hope it helps

BR
Ralph

--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
The geostats needs positive numbers, not strings, to display.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

georgear7
Communicator

@richgalloway I converted my output to numbers. Now, '0' means success, '1' means failure. and the requirement is to color it according to the values.

0 - Green color

1 - Red color

I have used below, but it's not helping.

<option name="mapping.fieldColors">{"0":0x00FF00,"1":0xFF0000}</option>

Please suggest how to achieve this.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
"It's not helping" what, exactly?
In my tests, zero values did not produce graphics, hence the "positive numbers" in my reply.
---
0 Karma

georgear7
Communicator

@richgalloway Yes, you're correct. "0" is not giving graph.

So, I have assigned "1" is for 'Success' and "2" is for 'Failure'.

Now i want to color my bubble according to values. If it's 1, bubble should be in green color and if it's 2, it should be in red.

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @georgear7 ,

I think I have what you need.

This SPL makes up some sample data of yours and puts it on a map:

| makeresults 
| eval "Country" = "Australia Vietnam HongKong Indonesia"
| makemv Country
| mvexpand Country
| eval Result = case(Country="Australia",2,Country="Vietnam",1,Country="HongKong",2, Country="Indonesia",1)
| eval latitude=case(Country=="HongKong","22.396428", Country=="Vietnam","14.058324", Country=="Australia","-25.274398", Country=="Indonesia","-0.789275")
| eval longitude=case(Country=="HongKong","114.109497", Country=="Vietnam","108.277199", Country=="Australia","133.775136", Country=="Indonesia","113.921327")
| geostats latfield=latitude longfield=longitude count by Result

=> Save it as Dashboard Panel and edit the source.
=> Add this to the Options:

<option name="mapping.fieldColors">{"1":"0x65a637","2":"0xd93f3c"}</option>

Et voila:

geostats_colors_test.PNG

I hope it helps

BR
Ralph

--

georgear7
Communicator

Hi @rnowitzki ,

Thanks for your efforts in getting this, i can able to color the bubble now.

One more help i need from you regarding changing the size of the map. If you look at the countries which i mentioned in query, those are belongs to Asia and Australia continent. So i want to show those countries region only in my map without manually zooming it every time.

Due to this reason, countries like Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam are coming as a big bubble when we are not zooming in.

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @georgear7 ,

This can be done with:

<option name="mapping.map.center">(14,100)</option>
        <option name="mapping.map.scrollZoom">0</option>
        <option name="mapping.map.zoom">4</option>

I tried to set it around "your" countries", if not close enough, play around with the lat/long of the map.center and map.zoom option to set is as needed.

BR
Ralph

--

georgear7
Communicator

Hi @rnowitzki ,

This is perfectly working fine, thanks a bunch for all your help. Much appreciated!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I have not been successful specifying colors for a pie chart since the Advanced XML days. The Visualization manual does not list a way to do it.
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...