Splunk Enterprise Security

ignore timestamp greater than 2 days

arikanter
Observer

two time fields per event:
_time (default eventfield for Splunk)
occurtime (timestamp within body of event)

I only want to show events where the field in the body of the event: "occurtime" is not more than two days older than "_time".

I have done the following to convert occurtime to epoch time:
eval occur=strptime(occurtime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

example current output:

_time: 2020-04-23 05:07:03.151

occurtime: 2020-02-24T17:42:38.572Z

occur: 1582594958.000000

I just need to figure out how the < funcitons with time.

Thank you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The output of strptime is an integer and the value of _time is also an integer (it's displayed as text automatically - a helpful, but confusing feature) so comparing _time to occur is the same as comparing any other pair of integers: occur < _time, for example.

Use relative_time to factor in the two days. | where occur > relative_time(_time, "-2d") keeps events where occur is newer than two days before _time.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The output of strptime is an integer and the value of _time is also an integer (it's displayed as text automatically - a helpful, but confusing feature) so comparing _time to occur is the same as comparing any other pair of integers: occur < _time, for example.

Use relative_time to factor in the two days. | where occur > relative_time(_time, "-2d") keeps events where occur is newer than two days before _time.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

arikanter
Observer

Rich-- thank you so much -- I did not know about "relative_time" . That was so helpful, and what you provided was exactly what I needed. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...