Security

Creating an app, is it possible to limit the workflow actions that appear within that app (not all global)?

rdownie
Communicator

This may be an enhancement, but before I request it, I would like to ensure the functionality doesn't exist. I am creating an app and I would like to be able to limit the workflow actions that appear within that app (not all globals). The permissions only allow for private/app/global. The app I create can see all the global work flow actions that match the field/eventtype restrictions. It would make the ability to build a "clean" app if I could restrict what an individual app could see (not just workflow actions).
Any ideas?
Thanks,
-Bob

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

AFAIK there is no way to block the appearance of "global" knowledge objects (KO) IF the visibility is set to Read for Everyone.

However, you could edit the visibility for the global knowledge objects (KOs) so that they are unavailable to certain user roles. However, you can't say, for a global tag named X, "The web role has access to the X tag in the Web app but not in the Search app." Either the web role has access to the global KO or it doesn't.

Another alternative is to remove the global visibility of the problematic KOs. Then clone each KO into the apps where you want it to appear. Now you have multiple copies of the KO, so you can set permissions on each one differently if you like. The downside is that you have multiple copies of these KOs to maintain, so I would avoid this unless it is the only solution to your problem.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

AFAIK there is no way to block the appearance of "global" knowledge objects (KO) IF the visibility is set to Read for Everyone.

However, you could edit the visibility for the global knowledge objects (KOs) so that they are unavailable to certain user roles. However, you can't say, for a global tag named X, "The web role has access to the X tag in the Web app but not in the Search app." Either the web role has access to the global KO or it doesn't.

Another alternative is to remove the global visibility of the problematic KOs. Then clone each KO into the apps where you want it to appear. Now you have multiple copies of the KO, so you can set permissions on each one differently if you like. The downside is that you have multiple copies of these KOs to maintain, so I would avoid this unless it is the only solution to your problem.

rdownie
Communicator

Thanks for the response. I would like to see another level between single app and everything. A way you could select multiple apps for a KO.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...