Monitoring Splunk

Memory use in HP-Ux

omlojoha
Engager

Does someone know how much memory and CPU the Splunk agent uses when installed under HP-Ux? And how does the Splunk Agent act when a HP-Ux server is used intensively.

Thx!

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am assuming you mean to ask the consumption of a Splunk instance when used in Forwarding mode. Memory consumption is mostly determined by the type of inputs you are monitoring. A non-active Splunk process should not utilize much more than a 100 MB of RAM when in a Forwarding mode. The light-forwarding mode offers the least overhead. If the system is actively monitoring large files, I would expect RAM usage to increase proportionately to the files themselves. As for CPU, this is also dictated by the type of inputs you are using.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

omlojoha
Engager

Whe only want to log syslog and who.

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you can detail the types of inputs you will be configuring, that will allow for a better answer.

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am assuming you mean to ask the consumption of a Splunk instance when used in Forwarding mode. Memory consumption is mostly determined by the type of inputs you are monitoring. A non-active Splunk process should not utilize much more than a 100 MB of RAM when in a Forwarding mode. The light-forwarding mode offers the least overhead. If the system is actively monitoring large files, I would expect RAM usage to increase proportionately to the files themselves. As for CPU, this is also dictated by the type of inputs you are using.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...