Installation

support about UF

takeshi
Explorer

If I create a free account and download Universal Forwarder, is there no limit on the number of days? If so, do I need a Community, Standard, or Premium contract to get support? Will the agreement apply to other accounts?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takeshi ,

with a Splunk account, you can download all the products (except Premium Apps, VictorOps and Phantom) and use them for a period related to your license.

HF dowsn't index anything so it's like another UF, but you have to configure it as a slave of the Master License.

Indexers, obviously, are under license.

If you speak of Splunk Support, all the Spunk components in one architecture can be supported by your license, it's not relevant that you downloaded them using a different account than the one with the license: when you have to open a case, you can use your license.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takeshi ,

you can download all the Universal Forwarders you need and use them for all the time you want.

License is countered on the daily indexed logs and maintenance and support depend on the contract you have for your Splunk License.

UFs are covered by the Splunk license you have.

If you haven't any Splunk license you can only use a community support (that you have anyway!).

At these urls you can find all the informations you need:

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/support-and-services/support-programs.html

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/legal/splunk-software-support-policy.html

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/legal/splunk-general-terms.html

Ciao.

Giuseppe

takeshi
Explorer

Hi @gcusello
Thank you for your reply.
It was very helpful!

Are accounts and licenses associated?
If I have another account and have a standard license, does the standard license apply to this account as well?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takeshi ,

licenses are associated to the customer because they should open the Support cases, eventually asking to Splunk to put you in email chain.

You could ask to the customer or to your Splunk Channel Manager to associate also your eMail to the three references for that license so you can open a case for the customer.

If not, when you open a case (I repeat that the customer should open cases!), you can say that you're opening that case for your customer.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

takeshi
Explorer

understood.
It means that it is possible only by downloading with an account that does not have a license. If I use the downloaded one with a licensed account, can I get support?

In the case of HF, is that impossible after 60 days?

Can a free account be used forever?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takeshi ,

you can download all the UFs you want and use them with every account without limits in number of downloads and days.

Instead support by Splunk Support is related only to a license.

Support by Community is free but without SLA.

If instead you are speaking of a Splunk free license, you can use it for all the time you want but, but, after 60 days, with some limitations ( https://www.splunk.com/en_us/software/features-comparison-chart.html ) and you can access only to Community support not to Splunk Support.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

takeshi
Explorer

Hi @gcusello

I'm sorry.
Current Status: I have two accounts. One has a standard license. The other is a free account without a license.

With this premise, I understood about UF.

Are HF and IDX Splunk Enterprise products?
If I download HF or IDX in a free unlicensed account, will it be supported in my licensed account?

Will it be available and supported for only 60 days?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takeshi ,

with a Splunk account, you can download all the products (except Premium Apps, VictorOps and Phantom) and use them for a period related to your license.

HF dowsn't index anything so it's like another UF, but you have to configure it as a slave of the Master License.

Indexers, obviously, are under license.

If you speak of Splunk Support, all the Spunk components in one architecture can be supported by your license, it's not relevant that you downloaded them using a different account than the one with the license: when you have to open a case, you can use your license.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

takeshi
Explorer

I'm sorry too late to reply for your message.

I resolved this ticket.

Thank you very much!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takeshi ,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...