Installation

Splunk licensing question

OldManEd
Builder

Is there any way I can create a stand-alone Splunk instance using another instance’s license?

I would like to create a full featured, stand-alone Splunk development system consisting of one search head and one indexer. I’m not concerned about the forwarder. I could use the Splunk ~free~ license, but I would really like this development environment to have all the features of the existing ones, (i.e., Alarming).

Paying for more licenses is not in the books. We do have 2 existing Splunk instances here with extra capacity. What I would like to do is use the extra capacity from one of those for my development instance. Is this possible?

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure. Set up the new instance as a license slave connected to the instance having your current license. They exchange spent volume regularly, just make sure the slave gets a connection at least once per 24 hours.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Admin/Configurealicenseslave

View solution in original post

thellmann
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I realise this question is quite old, but for those viewing this answer today I would recommend getting a developer license:

10GB Developer licenses are available to everyone and can be requested using this form: https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/dev_license - the approval process is manually and we will typically be able to process requests within 2-3 days. If you haven't received your license within this time, please reach out to devinfo@splunk.com

50GB Personalized Dev/Test licenses are available to users associated with accounts with a paid Splunk Enterprise or Splunk Cloud license of any size and can be requested here: https://splunk.com/dev-test - the approval process is automated, so if you encounter any issues please reach out to your Splunk sales representative.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure. Set up the new instance as a license slave connected to the instance having your current license. They exchange spent volume regularly, just make sure the slave gets a connection at least once per 24 hours.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Admin/Configurealicenseslave

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have more pools than just the autogenerated one then yeah, you need to configure your indexers into pools... without a pool they don't have assigned license volume.

Not quite sure about the warning, check if that disappears by tomorrow as license-related warnings (pool warning in this case) are on a per-day basis.

0 Karma

OldManEd
Builder

Martin,

OK, problem here with this configuration. When I logged in to the server acting as the license manager this morning, there were warning messages telling me that “Daily indexing volume exceeded for 2 slaves.” I found out that I needed to create a “pool” and place my test environment servers in the pool. So I did that.

Then I restarted the master license server Splunk instance and the messages disappeared. But as soon as I started the Splunk test environment Splunk instance, the messages came back. Is this ~normal~ operation for Splunk?

0 Karma

OldManEd
Builder

OK, great. And thanks again.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Typically every non-forwarder instance will be license slave to the license master.

If the search head doesn't have access to a Splunk Enterprise license, there won't be any alerting or user authentication running on the search head.

0 Karma

OldManEd
Builder

One question, do I set up the search head as a slave also?

0 Karma

OldManEd
Builder

Cool, and thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...