Installation

Splunk Installation

harshavrath
Contributor

I want to Install Splunk. Do i need a server to host it.?
If I want to install Splunk on multiple systems not as an local system user,then how can i do this & where would i host it as it needs to work in multiple systems.?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, you don't need a dedicated server to run Splunk. You can run it on your workstation if you have the resources available.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, you don't need a dedicated server to run Splunk. You can run it on your workstation if you have the resources available.

---

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Someone with access to the DB server will have to install the Splunk Universal Forwarder. Then you will have access to the DB logs, assuming the server and your workstation can communicate to one another.

---

harshavrath
Contributor

Hi richgalloway

If i install Splunk as local user on my workstation will i able to access DB logs from an server by using Universal Forwarder.?
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can run Splunk on that system, provided you have sufficient disk space for the data you will be indexing. Of course, you'll have to make sure your firewall allows access to your system by the other PCs.

---

harshavrath
Contributor

My system has 8GB of RAM,Processor i5 3.20GHz,64bit OS,with this configuration can i install Splunk on my PC and give access to other PC's which are connected by means of Intranet.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Splunk will install on a large number of platforms, including most versions of Windows, Linux, Solaris, AIX, BSD and MacOS. You can certainly run it on a laptop if you like. However, you may not be able to efficiently handle large amounts of data on a limited hardware platform. But for playing/learning, it's a good thing.

Read more here

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/Referencehardware
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/Summaryofperformancerecommendations

/K

harshavrath
Contributor

Actually The Requirement From my company is they want Splunk to be accessible from different systems(multiple PC's),so what should i do now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Please refrain from asking the same question twice. It's better to edit your existing question.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/124524/splunk-installation

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...