Installation

How to convert from Trial Enterprise to Developer License?

thomastaylor
Communicator

Hello, all. I received my Splunk.License file. I am currently running an Enterprise Trial license that expired. I believe that my license group is Enterprise Trial, and I just uploaded the Splunk.License file assuming Splunk would work on the restart.

After it restarted and the web interface loaded, I cannot login. I've used every combination, but it just says incorrect login on each attempt. It's the same username/password I've used for the past month to login everyday. Even admin:changeme doesn't work on the interface.

Any ideas why this is occurring? I'd rather not loose my configurations.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

amiftah
Communicator
0 Karma

thellmann
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

50GB Dev/Test licenses, available from https://splunk.com/dev-test , allow only a single hard-coded user (in addition to other limitations described on that page). If this causes issues with your existing developer Splunk Enterprise deployment, you could also consider using the 10GB Developer license, available from https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/dev_license , which does not have the same limitations.

0 Karma

amiftah
Communicator

Hi,

Try to reset your password by following these steps:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/834/how-to-reset-the-admin-password.html

0 Karma

thomastaylor
Communicator

This worked, but now all the users are gone except for the "admin" account. Tags, event types, dashboards, etc. were all created from one of the accounts, and I do not believe that it was set to global. So for knowledge objects that displayed for "Owner" do not display now.

And, for knowledge objects that were created, it states that the accounts do not have sufficient privileges to perform the searches. Any thoughts on that?

If you believe I should create another question, then let me know! Thanks!

0 Karma

amiftah
Communicator

Is there any new notification in the message menu ?

0 Karma

thomastaylor
Communicator

No ma'am. Just an upgrade notice.

0 Karma

amiftah
Communicator

Ok, try to open both your previous passwd file and the new one, and compare the content, if you don't see the other users from the previous passwd, try to do a backup by copying those users and paste them to your new passwd file.

0 Karma

thomastaylor
Communicator

I actually don't have permission to open or view the passwd.bk file. Any suggestions on that?

Also, the Dev/Test license doesn't allow for multiple users. Will this be a problem?

0 Karma

amiftah
Communicator

If you're using the devtest license then yes, you can't have more than one user (admin).

0 Karma

thomastaylor
Communicator

@amiftah I figured out a work around. I copied and pasted all of the tags, eventtypes, etc. configuration files to the app/default folder. It worked like a charm, and the admin account now has access to those. Thanks!

0 Karma

thomastaylor
Communicator

That's fine, but is there a way to get my data from the account that does not appear anymore? I would like to globally share the knowledge objects from it; however, the account physically cannot be accessed anymore since "admin" is the primary and ONLY account.

Thanks for your help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...