Getting Data In

how to create a table to show port status of Cisco switch?

splunkbeginner
Engager

Cisco has been configured and sent syslog to Splunk as follows:
alt text

I would like a table to show port status of Cisco switch with format as follows:
Interface status count
GigabitEthernet1/0/27 up 1
GigabitEthernet1/0/27 down 1
GigabitEthernet2/0/2 up 3
GigabitEthernet2/0/2 down 3
GigabitEthernet2/0/1 up 1
GigabitEthernet2/0/1 down 0

Can someone help to complete the search below (or come with some regex) to achieve this? great thanks!

(sourcetype=cisco ("%LINK-3") AND ("changed state to up" OR "changed state to administratively up")) OR (sourcetype=cisco ("%LINK-3") AND ("changed state to down" OR "changed state to administratively down")) | table Interface, status, count ???

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mikaelbje
Motivator

Install and configure the Cisco Networks Add-on and Cisco Networks App, both available from Splunkbase. You will get all the extractions and the overview page has the search you need in a panel called Port Flapping.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Install and configure the Cisco Networks Add-on and Cisco Networks App, both available from Splunkbase. You will get all the extractions and the overview page has the search you need in a panel called Port Flapping.

0 Karma

splunkbeginner
Engager

Thanks, in fact i did install both Cisco Networks Add-on and Cisco Networks App.

But there seems no outputs at all. Please see their configurations below:
https://imgur.com/ftwtoZj

alt text

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Your sourcetype is cisco whereas the add-on requires it to be cisco:ios

See if changing it helps.

0 Karma

splunkbeginner
Engager

thx again. in fact I did change it already. In the screenshot I attached, I have changed it as follows:

Name: Search string:
cisco_ios sourcetype=cisco

but it somehow does not work at all

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

You need to set the sourcetype to cisco:ios upon ingesting the data in Splunk. Do it on the input you defined.

Notice that it is cisco colon ios

0 Karma

splunkbeginner
Engager

thx mikaelbje, it does work now.

0 Karma

riddhichandaran
Explorer

Hey @splunkbeginner if your logs are always in the same format you can extract the field using rex

your search |rex field=_raw "Interface (?<Interface>[A-Za-z0-9_/.-]*)" | rex field=_raw "to (?<status>\w+)" | stats count by Interface,status

Hope this will help!

splunkbeginner
Engager

thanks riddhichandarana, it certainly helps!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...