Getting Data In

how to create a table to show port status of Cisco switch?

splunkbeginner
Engager

Cisco has been configured and sent syslog to Splunk as follows:
alt text

I would like a table to show port status of Cisco switch with format as follows:
Interface status count
GigabitEthernet1/0/27 up 1
GigabitEthernet1/0/27 down 1
GigabitEthernet2/0/2 up 3
GigabitEthernet2/0/2 down 3
GigabitEthernet2/0/1 up 1
GigabitEthernet2/0/1 down 0

Can someone help to complete the search below (or come with some regex) to achieve this? great thanks!

(sourcetype=cisco ("%LINK-3") AND ("changed state to up" OR "changed state to administratively up")) OR (sourcetype=cisco ("%LINK-3") AND ("changed state to down" OR "changed state to administratively down")) | table Interface, status, count ???

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mikaelbje
Motivator

Install and configure the Cisco Networks Add-on and Cisco Networks App, both available from Splunkbase. You will get all the extractions and the overview page has the search you need in a panel called Port Flapping.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Install and configure the Cisco Networks Add-on and Cisco Networks App, both available from Splunkbase. You will get all the extractions and the overview page has the search you need in a panel called Port Flapping.

0 Karma

splunkbeginner
Engager

Thanks, in fact i did install both Cisco Networks Add-on and Cisco Networks App.

But there seems no outputs at all. Please see their configurations below:
https://imgur.com/ftwtoZj

alt text

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Your sourcetype is cisco whereas the add-on requires it to be cisco:ios

See if changing it helps.

0 Karma

splunkbeginner
Engager

thx again. in fact I did change it already. In the screenshot I attached, I have changed it as follows:

Name: Search string:
cisco_ios sourcetype=cisco

but it somehow does not work at all

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

You need to set the sourcetype to cisco:ios upon ingesting the data in Splunk. Do it on the input you defined.

Notice that it is cisco colon ios

0 Karma

splunkbeginner
Engager

thx mikaelbje, it does work now.

0 Karma

riddhichandaran
Explorer

Hey @splunkbeginner if your logs are always in the same format you can extract the field using rex

your search |rex field=_raw "Interface (?<Interface>[A-Za-z0-9_/.-]*)" | rex field=_raw "to (?<status>\w+)" | stats count by Interface,status

Hope this will help!

splunkbeginner
Engager

thanks riddhichandarana, it certainly helps!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...