Getting Data In

field extraction working with rex but not props.conf

jdmclemore
Path Finder

I am trying to extract a portion of the source as a field. Here's what the source looks like:

D:\Host Logs\info.server.02.mfl

I'm trying to extract "info" from the source filename and this works perfectly as a splunk search:

search | rex field=source "D:\\\Host Logs\\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)"

But if I put this in props.conf for this sourcetype as a search-time extraction, it's not working:

EXTRACT-sourcefield = "D:\\\Host Logs\\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)" in source

I've tried multiple versions of this, taking out the extra "\", removing the quotes, etc., but cant seem to get this field to extract. A "splunk btool props list..." shows that the props.conf file is being used. It's in an app in /opt/splunk/etc/apps. This is Splunk Enterprise 8.0.4.1.

Edit: Here are all the versions I've tried so far...

EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\x5CHost Logs\x5C(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL) in source
EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\\Host Logs\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL) in source
EXTRACT-sourcefield = "D:\\\Host Logs\\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)" in source
EXTRACT-sourcefield = "D:\\Host Logs\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)" in source

Labels (1)
0 Karma

amiftah_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Or you can try:

EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\x5CHost Logs\x5C(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)
0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Thanks @amiftah_splunk  - unfortunately, this isn't working either.

0 Karma

amiftah_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you extracting from a field?

You may need to use transforms:

transforms.conf:

[example]

SOURCE_KEY = source

REGEX = <your_regex>

props.conf:

REPORT-example = example

0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Tried using REPORT and transforms, but still no good extraction...

0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Yes, extracting from the source field. I haven't tried going the REPORT route and using transforms.conf because its a simple inline extraction that shouldnt require transforms, per the documentation. Maybe worth giving it a shot though.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried this?

EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\\Host Logs\\(?<newfield>[\w]+)\.\w+\.\w+\.(mfl|MFL) in source

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Thanks @richgalloway  - yes I've tried that in props, but no extraction.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...