Getting Data In

field extraction working with rex but not props.conf

jdmclemore
Path Finder

I am trying to extract a portion of the source as a field. Here's what the source looks like:

D:\Host Logs\info.server.02.mfl

I'm trying to extract "info" from the source filename and this works perfectly as a splunk search:

search | rex field=source "D:\\\Host Logs\\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)"

But if I put this in props.conf for this sourcetype as a search-time extraction, it's not working:

EXTRACT-sourcefield = "D:\\\Host Logs\\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)" in source

I've tried multiple versions of this, taking out the extra "\", removing the quotes, etc., but cant seem to get this field to extract. A "splunk btool props list..." shows that the props.conf file is being used. It's in an app in /opt/splunk/etc/apps. This is Splunk Enterprise 8.0.4.1.

Edit: Here are all the versions I've tried so far...

EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\x5CHost Logs\x5C(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL) in source
EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\\Host Logs\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL) in source
EXTRACT-sourcefield = "D:\\\Host Logs\\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)" in source
EXTRACT-sourcefield = "D:\\Host Logs\\(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)" in source

Labels (1)
0 Karma

amiftah_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Or you can try:

EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\x5CHost Logs\x5C(?<newfield>[\w]+).\w+.\w+.(mfl|MFL)
0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Thanks @amiftah_splunk  - unfortunately, this isn't working either.

0 Karma

amiftah_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you extracting from a field?

You may need to use transforms:

transforms.conf:

[example]

SOURCE_KEY = source

REGEX = <your_regex>

props.conf:

REPORT-example = example

0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Tried using REPORT and transforms, but still no good extraction...

0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Yes, extracting from the source field. I haven't tried going the REPORT route and using transforms.conf because its a simple inline extraction that shouldnt require transforms, per the documentation. Maybe worth giving it a shot though.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried this?

EXTRACT-sourcefield = D:\\Host Logs\\(?<newfield>[\w]+)\.\w+\.\w+\.(mfl|MFL) in source

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jdmclemore
Path Finder

Thanks @richgalloway  - yes I've tried that in props, but no extraction.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...