Getting Data In

Zulu time

Laurent
Explorer

Hello

i read many topics on zulu time but i m not able to solde one

i have a date in this way 2024-04-29T12:01:15.710Z i just want it  this way YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.

i trie this eval latest_time = strptime(latest_time, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%Z")

and the result is that : 1714363262.904000 

i really don't catch the proble!

Thanks

Laurent

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you saying you want to remove the milliseconds and timezone specifier or are you saying that your epoch time does not convert correctly, as this time in your message 1714363262.904000  is not actually the time 2024-04-29T12:01:15.710Z

When you use strptime to parse that time, you will get a time in your local time. If you are in GMT then it is the same, but here in Australia, I get a time that represents 2024-04-29 22:01:15.710 AEST, i.e. 10 hours later than the Zulu time.

If you are just looking to remove the milliseconds and time zone indicator, then just reformat using 

| eval latest_time=strftime(strptime(latest_time, "%FT%T.%Q%Z"), "%F %T")

Note that %F is shorthand for %Y-%m-%d and %T is a shortcut for %H:%M:%S

Note that that new time will be in your local time. 

If you don't care about time zones at all and simply want to remove the T, milliseconds and Z then you could just use sed, i.e.

| rex mode=sed field=latest_time "s/\.\d+Z// s/T/ /"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you saying you want to remove the milliseconds and timezone specifier or are you saying that your epoch time does not convert correctly, as this time in your message 1714363262.904000  is not actually the time 2024-04-29T12:01:15.710Z

When you use strptime to parse that time, you will get a time in your local time. If you are in GMT then it is the same, but here in Australia, I get a time that represents 2024-04-29 22:01:15.710 AEST, i.e. 10 hours later than the Zulu time.

If you are just looking to remove the milliseconds and time zone indicator, then just reformat using 

Note that %F is shorthand for %Y-%m-%d and %T is a shortcut for %H:%M:%S

Note that that new time will be in your local time. 

If you don't care about time zones at all and simply want to remove the T, milliseconds and Z then you could just use sed, i.e.

| rex mode=sed field=latest_time "s/\.\d+Z// s/T/ /"

0 Karma

Laurent
Explorer

Hi, thanks for answering it's work perfectly with that 

Thanks again for your answer.

Laurent

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The strptime function converts a timestamp from text format into integer (epoch) format.  To convert from one text format into another, use a combination of strptime and strftime (which converts epochs into text).

| eval latest_time = strftime(strptime(latest_time, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%Z"), "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N%Z")

Or you could use SED to replace the "T" with a space.

| rex mode=sed field=latest_time "s/(\d)T(\d)/\1 \2/"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...