Getting Data In

Why am I getting logs in but they are not going to the index I created?

I have deployed an app. I have checked all of the following again and again they look flawless.
inputs.conf
props.conf
serverclass.conf
indexes.conf

When i try to search for data by hosts, the events are there. They are going to _internal , _os not to the index I created doit_app_c4_168.
It means forwarders are forwarding the data, but it is not getting indexed properly. The index has been created, I checked that on the cluster master also.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sir_lamneth
Explorer

Are you saying that the events/data you expect to go into index=doit_app_c4_168 are ending up in index=_internal? Or are you just seeing data appear in the internal indexes for the Forwarder that you expect the data to come from?

Can you share your settings for:

From UF:
inputs.conf

From IDX:
props.conf
indexes.conf

For troubleshooting this, you don't want to rely just on what you put into the conf files. At runtime Splunk will coalesce all of the conf files from all of the underlying default/local directories of etc/system and etc/apps. So you should also use btool to help see what is going on.

For example, let's say you want to check the runtime status of your input stanza for your log file, and your definition in this case is called "doit_app_logs". You would run the following on the forwarder:

splunk btool inputs list | grep "\[doit_app_logs\]" -A 10

You can do the same from an Indexer to check on the runtime configs of your index, too:

splunk btool indexes list | grep "\[doit_app_c4_168\]" -A 10

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sir_lamneth
Explorer

Are you saying that the events/data you expect to go into index=doit_app_c4_168 are ending up in index=_internal? Or are you just seeing data appear in the internal indexes for the Forwarder that you expect the data to come from?

Can you share your settings for:

From UF:
inputs.conf

From IDX:
props.conf
indexes.conf

For troubleshooting this, you don't want to rely just on what you put into the conf files. At runtime Splunk will coalesce all of the conf files from all of the underlying default/local directories of etc/system and etc/apps. So you should also use btool to help see what is going on.

For example, let's say you want to check the runtime status of your input stanza for your log file, and your definition in this case is called "doit_app_logs". You would run the following on the forwarder:

splunk btool inputs list | grep "\[doit_app_logs\]" -A 10

You can do the same from an Indexer to check on the runtime configs of your index, too:

splunk btool indexes list | grep "\[doit_app_c4_168\]" -A 10

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...