Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder 8.0 upgrade path from 6.x

smiejascott

We have a bunch of older 6.x universal forwarders that will be incompatible with an 8.0 Enterprise Splunk instance. Is there any reason I can't upgrade these directly to 8.0 or do they need to be upgraded to 7.x first? The upgrade documentation isn't really clear.

In my mind I can't see any reason that an intermediate upgrade would be needed for a UF, but I suppose there could be one.

0 Karma
1 Solution

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi. You should read https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/Installation/AboutupgradingREADTHISFIRST

This clearly says don't go from 6.x to 8.x universal forwarder. You need to go to version 7 first.

View solution in original post

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi. You should read https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/Installation/AboutupgradingREADTHISFIRST

This clearly says don't go from 6.x to 8.x universal forwarder. You need to go to version 7 first.

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@smiejascott Hi so be clear: This sentence was in the above docs.

Do not try to upgrade Splunk Enterprise or Splunk universal forwarders directly to version 8.0 from a version that is lower than 7.0.

smiejascott

Got it. I had always figured that the UFs were pretty simplistic but obviously something else is going on.

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great @smiejascott Want to accept the answer?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...