Getting Data In

Timezone affecting logs date in Splunk

zongwei

Hi,

My timezone is GMT+8, and this caused logs captured in Splunk to always be 8 hours ago.

For instance:
Time log is captured: 2018-10-31 16:17:30,241
Time shown on splunk: 2018-10-31 08:17:30,241

I have tried configuring TZ in props.conf but it does not seem to work. here is snippet of my props.conf

[source]
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S,%3N
TZ = Asia/Singapore

Thanks for your help!

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @zongwei,
Please try below configuration.

props.conf

[source::source-name]
TZ = Timezone of event source system where the event is generated (If time in log event is in UTC/GMT then do not specify this option)

Set your timezone into Splunk by going User Setting (above Logout option) -> Timezone

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hello @zongwei. It appears that the props you have for you time format

Doesn't match the time in the logs

2018-11-01T03:04:33.916+08:00
  1. The time would need to include the letter T after the day of the month
  2. You have %S,%3N for seconds which is seconds + a comma + 3 digits of subseconds. But your logs have a seconds then a period then 3 subseconds
  3. You would need to have a timezone that include the +08:00 (use %:z I believe)
0 Karma

zongwei

Hi @burwell,

I am using TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S,%3N because the date of the log that I want the event to be split is 2018-11-01 04:59:40,965

Example of an event

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh I misunderstood the issue. Also I can't see the example (I see a broken image)

So it sounds to me like perhaps your user profile has a time setting so you are showing the events in a different timezone:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Security/ConfigureuserswithSplunkWeb

When I look at this:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Data/Applytimezoneoffsetstotimestamps

You are providing the time info and the timezone data.

0 Karma

zongwei

Additonal info:

For every event log, there is the _time field. Example of a _time field:

2018-11-01T03:04:33.916+08:00

It seems that Splunk does know that the time is short by 8 hours, but the logs display ignored the +08:00 behind the _time field.

Is there anyway to workaround with this to display the correct time? Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...