Getting Data In

Query JSON dict name of empty dict

mertox
Explorer

I'm sure that I'm not the first one running into this issue but I currently cant find a proper solution. Image following JSON data:

[
    "Config": {
      "Hostname": "XXHost",
      "ExposedPorts": {
        "1/tcp": {},
        "2/tcp": {},
        "3/tcp": {},
        "4/tcp": {},
        "5/tcp": {}
      },
    }
]

Splunk allows it to query the hostname using myQuery | table Config.Hostname but my usecase requires to query all exposed ports. When I take a look into the extracted fields at the left side, it seems like splunk skips all dicts without content (even if the childs are empty). Therefore the whole ExposedPorts dict is not available. Further more: until now I have no idea how to query dict names instead of the value.

Sidenote: I used INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = JSON because the LINE_BREAKER option wasn't able to split the json events correctly (they are logged one per line separated by \n). Due to the indexed-time extraction there is no _raw field I can throw a fancy regex at. The data I am talking about is the output of docker inspect XXXX just in case one is going to reproduce it.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mertox,
In your python script if you change your line of code to below:

data = {"data" : data}
f.write( json.dumps(data, sort_keys=True)+'\n' )

Try the above code. Hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mertox,
It would be easiest solution if you can change anything on source where event is being generated. Make the event event perfect JSON and Splunk will handle rest very easily.
If that is not possible then you would required to write regex to extract all fields.

mertox
Explorer

The data is written by a python script which dumps the restults using

f.write( json.dumps(data, sort_keys=True)+'\n' )

To my understanding this is the best way to do it...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...