Getting Data In

Should I create one syslog server and configure all the syslog sources to send logs to that central syslog server?

rashid47010
Communicator

We have different syslog sources.
Should I create one syslog server and configure all the syslog sources to send logs to that central syslog server and then install the UF to read the files from that paths?

Please share some scenarios or Splunk configuration.

0 Karma

rgreer
Path Finder

What you outlined is exactly what we ended up doing in each of our data centers. Kiwi Syslog on a virtual machine with a UF pulling in each log with the correct sourcetype. Our corporate IT guys ended up using Rsyslog on a Redhat VM with a UF as well. Both ended up being cheap, cost effective solutions to our syslog problem.

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On purpose or not, you ended up doing the best practice for that kind of use case. 😉
Syslog server writing to disk and Splunk monitoring those files is the recommended approach.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...