Getting Data In

Question about using virtual machines for intermediate forwarders

hacktastic
Path Finder

Hello folks,

I'm trying to puzzle out getting around SPL-34965 (WMI not load balancing), not inundating a single indexer (which is happening right now and screwing up my licensing) and keeping the the networking people happy by not asking for too many external IPs. I see that using an intermediate forwarder (HWF to avoid the done-key issue) is a solution. I completely understand why I wouldn't want to go virtual with the indexers and search head. But, can I get away with going virtual with intermediate forwarders? Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence?

We have about 725 LWFs sending to 3 indexers.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, a VM for an intermediate forwarder should be fine, though you can probably use LWF just fine, as WMI shouldn't have any problems with buffered writes.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, a VM for an intermediate forwarder should be fine, though you can probably use LWF just fine, as WMI shouldn't have any problems with buffered writes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...