Getting Data In

Powershell Scripts for Splunk for Cisco UCS not working

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

Hi everyone,
I'm currently testing out the Splunk App for Cisco UCS on Splunkbase (http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/54084/splunk-app-for-cisco-ucs). I set up the scripts for Powershell collection on one of our Heavy Forwarders (v4.3.3), and pointed it at a UCS blade for data collection. I'm getting the following error messages in splunkd.log (all are from the ExecProcessor):

04-02-2013 10:43:47.281 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command " &'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.ps1'" -index cisco_ucs" Disconnect-Ucs : Cannot bind parameter 'Ucs'. Cannot convert the "Cisco.Ucs.Cmdlets.PowerToolConfiguration" value of type "Cisco.Ucs.Cmdlets.PowerToolConfiguration" to type "Cisco.Ucs.UcsHandle".

04-02-2013 10:43:47.281 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command " &'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.ps1'" -index cisco_ucs" At s1:80 char:24 + Disconnect-Ucs -Ucs <<<< $UcsmSession + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Disconnect-Ucs], Parameter BindingException

04-02-2013 10:43:47.281 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command " &'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.ps1'" -index cisco_ucs" + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Cisco.Ucs.Cmdlets.DisconnectUcs

04-02-2013 10:43:47.281 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command " &'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.ps1'" -index cisco_ucs"

04-02-2013 10:43:47.281 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command " &'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.ps1'" -index cisco_ucs" Get-UcsFex : Cannot bind parameter 'Ucs'. Cannot convert the "Cisco.Ucs.Cmdlets.PowerToolConfiguration" value of type "Cisco.Ucs.Cmdlets.PowerToolConfiguration" to type "Cisco.Ucs.UcsHandle".

04-02-2013 10:43:47.281 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command " &'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.ps1'" -index cisco_ucs" At C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.p
04-02-2013 10:43:47.281 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command " &'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-CiscoUcsPs\bin\powershell\GetInventory.ps1'" -index cisco_ucs" s1:29 char:31 + $UcsObj += Get-UcsFex -Ucs <<<< $UcsmSessionCategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-UcsFex], ParentContainsErrorRecordException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Cisco.Ucs.Cmdlets.GetUcsFex

Can someone help me try to figure out what is going on here? I'm no powershell expert, so unfortunately I'm having a hard time interpreting these logs.

Configuration files (inputs.conf, ciscoucs.conf) are available at: http://pastebin.com/7SYwd4vJ

Tags (2)
1 Solution

halr9000
Motivator

We are soon to be obsoleting the PowerShell-based version of this app. The cross-platform (using Python) collector will be published "well before Cisco Live". In the meantime, anyone who asks me directly may have access to the current development version.,

View solution in original post

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

The new app based on Python has now been published to Splunkbase.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

We are soon to be obsoleting the PowerShell-based version of this app. The cross-platform (using Python) collector will be published "well before Cisco Live". In the meantime, anyone who asks me directly may have access to the current development version.,

0 Karma

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

Thanks hal. I will reach out to you for the Python collector.

0 Karma

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

I have posted the link to the .conf files. Please let me know if you need more information.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

I'd suggest just clicking the edit button above and put the conf in your original post.

0 Karma

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

I have posted ciscoucs.conf and inputs.conf. They are available at:

http://pastebin.com/7SYwd4vJ

0 Karma

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

Thanks. I will reach out to you by email. I will post the configs separately due to comment restrictions.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

This looks like a config-related issue. If you want to post a (redacted) version of your .conf files and put them in your question, we could troubleshoot it.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

I'm actually deprecating the PowerShell-based collector scripts for this app and have moved to using Python so as to be more flexible for our cross-platform customers. Contact me by email and I can get you the latest bits which have not yet been released.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...