Getting Data In

Network Toolkit: Installation on Splunk Forwarders

rahuljassal

Hi @LukeMurphey 

Is is possible to install the network toolkit app on a UF ? We have too many servers that we want to run a ping test against. But with Splunk SaaS, it wont be possible to do so from cloud.

Thanks

R

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

dzagadsky
Engager

I have the same question. I'm looking specifically to have the scheduled ping and speedtests run on forwarders and then phone home with the data. For example when remote users complain of slow speeds on VPN it's nice to have a historical record of "normal".

The existing app runs the ping and traceroute and other tests from the search head. If you want to see the same information but from the perspective of selected forwarders, it makes sense to just run the python scripts that collect the data and then forward the output to an indexer.

It doesn't seem like the app works on a universal forwarder in its current state- forgot about the lack of python built into the forwarder. I'm going to try on a computer with python installed to see what happens.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
The Network Toolkit app defines dashboards and custom search commands so it needs to be installed on your search head(s). Installing it on a UF, even if possible, is of little to no utility.
Consider installing an on-prem heavy forwarder and installing the app there. Use the HF only for your ping tests.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...