Getting Data In

EVAL with REX with SPATH (props / transforms)

willadams
Contributor

I have a JSON file with an embedded JSON field that I am trying to extract.  I have been doing some searching and have finally come up with an SPL search that will extract the information into my relevant key pairs.  The SPL is basically

index=foo sourcetype=foosource
| eval log_message=replace(log_message, "\\\"\"","")
| rex "log_message\\\\\":\\\\\"(?<log_message>[^\\\]+)"
| spath input=log_message

I have also read that I shouldn't need the spath however if I remove this from my SPL then it doesn't extract as required.

I would like to put this into transforms but unsure how to apply the "spath".  Thoughts around my props/transforms so far is:

props.conf

REPORT-logmessage = log_message

transforms.conf

[log_message]
INGEST_EVAL = eval_log_message=replace(log_message=replace(log_message, "\\\"\"","")
REX = "log_message\\\\\":\\\\\"(?<log_message>[^\\\]+)"

Labels (2)
0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

{"log_message";"{\"version\":\"1.00000\",\"account_id\":\"12345678\",\"region\":\"myarea\",\" and so on until this blocks ends with }}".  The remainder of the log after this is parsed appropriately "log_group":"/logs","log_location":"mylogs","account_information":"38430495"} for example.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@willadams ,

I can't give you exact answer for your question, but I can direct you the approach to be taken.

let me explain what I understand from your question:

you have new json which is log_message inside json event. you want to extract fields of log_message automatically.

I have taken sample event as below : cars is json inside json event

{
  "name":"John",
  "age":30,
  "cars":
    { "carname":"Ford", "models":"Fiesta" }
 }

first, I have extracted to cars value "{ "carname":"Ford", "models":"Fiesta" }" to cars  using props.conf below. [jsontest] is my sourcetype of event.

created a report extractcars to be used in transforms.conf

props.conf

[jsontest]
EXTRACT-cars = \"cars\":\s+\{\s(?<cars>[^\}]+)
REPORT-extractcars = extractcars

and then I have extracted fields carname and models using transforms.conf

SOURCE_KEY is key to define for which field you would to apply REGEX

transforms.conf

[extractcars]
REGEX = \"(?<_KEY_1>[^\"]+)\"\:\"(?<_VAL_1>[^\"]+)
SOURCE_KEY = cars

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

I will give a shot but I have to do the replace first before the rex. 

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

can you share sample event?

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...