Getting Data In

Issues sending filtered data to specific index

bms9nmh

I have an index named myindex.

I'm trying to filter out lines that contain CRON entries in the auth.log, and send them to myindex. I'm using a negative regex search so any line that doesn't contain CRON matches, and therefore appear in myindex. I'm using the following transforms.config and props.config files.

transforms.conf

[filter_out_cron]
  REGEX=^(?!.*CRON\[.*?\]:).*$
  DEST_KEY=_MetaData:Index
  FORMAT=myindex

props.conf

[source::/var/log/auth.log]
  TRANSFORMS-indexRouting=filter_out_cron

The auth.log lines with CRON entries are still appearing, but I can't tell why. Does this look like a configuration that should work?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your settings are correct so it must be something else. If you are doing a sourcetype override/overwrite, you must use the ORIGINAL value, NOT the new value. You must deploy your settings to the first full instance(s) of Splunk that handle the events (usually either the HF tier if you use one, or else your Indexer tier), restart all Splunk instances there, send in new events (old events will stay broken), then test using _index_earliest=-5m to be absolutely certain that you are only examining the newly indexed events.

0 Karma

bms9nmh

Hey woodcock, thanks for the response. I'm not sure I understand the bit about sourcetype override, could you give me an example?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are the admin for Splunk, you would know if you were doing sourcetype-override; in any case:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Advancedsourcetypeoverrides

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...