Getting Data In

Translate my windows event viewer search query to splunk search query

jarves

Hi,

I would like to translate my windows event log custom query to splunk search syntax.

<QueryList>
  <Query Id="0" Path="Security">
    <Select Path="Security"> 
*[EventData[Data[@Name='TargetUserName'] = 'ztm31029']] and *[System[(EventID='4624')]]
    </Select>
    <Select Path="Security"> 
*[EventData[Data[@Name='IpAddress'] = '10.228.36.66']] and *[System[(EventID='4624')]]
    </Select>
  </Query>
</QueryList>

The three important fields to searh are IpAddress, EventID and TargetUserName under security events.

Thanks!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are using the Splunk_TA_windows then the fields are called host, EventCode, src, user, Security_ID, and ComputerName.

0 Karma

guarisma
Contributor

This depends if you have the Splunk Add-on for Windows installed for extractions and calculations of the fields or not.

If yes, IpAddress should match calculated field src_ip, EventID would be EventCode, TargettUserName should be user

So you'll have a search like:

index=<index_with_windows_events>  EventCode=4624 (src_ip=10.228.36.66 OR user=ztm31029)

If not, we would need to see how the RAW data looks in Splunk to do the proper extractions and calculations, or just match to a regular expression.

0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you give a brief description of what the search needs to do? For example, are you looking for where TargetUserName='ztm31029' AND IPAddress='10.228.26.66' AND EventID=4624? Or is it an OR on the user and ip?

0 Karma

jarves

It's an AND

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jarves,
ingest your Windows logs and see the exacts fields names.
Anyway,

• EventID is EventCode
  • I don't see any IpAddress
  • TargetUserName should be Account_Name

Remeber that by default you haven't the extraction of all fields, you have to install the TA_Windows ( https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/742/ ) or manually extract using regexes.

Than you can create your own search:

index=wineventlog sourcetype=wineventlog:Security IpAddress=my_ip EventICode=xxxx Account_Name=xxxxx

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

jarves

The IpAddress is the IP from where the user did the user authenticated from.

0 Karma

jarves

I tried that syntax but no results.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jarves,
run index=wineventlog (the index where your Windows EventLogs are stored), so you can see if there are all the fields extractions.
If you already have fields, use in search the ones corrisponding to your fields (remember that fields names are case sensitive), if not you have two choices:

I suggest to use the first one.

When you have the field extraction, you can build your search using the correct fields, but the first step is extract them.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

jarves

Hi @gcusello Where should TA_Windows be installed?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Windows TA is usually installed on Universal Forwarder to ingest windows data, but can also be installed on Search Heads to use all the eventtypes and fields extraction.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...