Getting Data In

Issue with Windows firewall logs not showing ample information

hassan1214
Loves-to-Learn

Hye !

I am trying to analyze Windoes firewall logs in splunk Enterprsie locally hosted . Follwings have ben done already:

1. Logs are being ingested successfully to server
  2. Can view logs with details
  3. App TA-winfw already installed 

However its missing any IP realetd info like src ip , dst ip and protocol. However I can see these fileds in local file stored at "C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log"

But dont see any such values into splunk ingested log data . Need help and guidance if I am missing anything ?

Regards

Labels (1)
0 Karma

KendallW
Path Finder

Hi @hassan1214, here's a few things to check to begin troubleshooting this issue:
-Are you running the search in Fast Mode? If so, try running it in Smart Mode.
-Are any of the winfw fields being extracted? Or only Splunk internal fields?
-Check for any parsing issues in the splunkd.log : 

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd log_level!=INFO source=*splunkd.log *winfw*

The TA uses the following transforms.conf stanza to extract fields. Please check the content of your pfirewall.log matches this format:

DELIMS = " "
FIELDS = date,time,win_action,transport,src,dest,src_port,dest_port,size,tcp_flag,tcpsyn,tcpack,tcpwin,icmptype,icmpcode,info,win_direction

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...