Getting Data In

Install Splunk 6 on Windows 2008 R2

hilario_almeida

I tried to install the trial version (in anticipation of licensed version delivery) but it will not do so. The error I get is that I should try to install as an admin, even though I log in as an admin (local or domain does not seem to make a difference). Has anybody installed the software on a Win 2008 R2 SP1 computer?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MHibbin
Influencer

Try running the installation file from an elavated Command Prompt, using the msiexec /i command - try that with acceptlicense parameter /quiet flag, etc.

View solution in original post

wcolgate_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To remove the services, you can use "SC" from the command line:

$ sc delete splunkd
$ sc delete splunkweb

klee310
Communicator

thanks for the reply, and thanks for putting it out there... i figured as much as soon as i posted the question, and went online to find the SC solution - kind of more of a Windows question/solution than it is a Splunk; but its good we put it here also, so other people with similar issue can find the solution quickly

0 Karma

klee310
Communicator

I'm getting a very similar issue. The error says Splunk Installer was unable to create Splunk Services. - Please make sure that the user running the installer has correct privileges, including being able to create Windows services. Exitcode='1;'

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

I've tried using the fix above, and it doesn't seem to work for me.

Also uninstalled the previous version, but it seems Splunkd and SplunkWeb is still listed in my Services screen. I guess the first thing I should do is to remove those services... but how?

the old services is stopped already. what else should I do in preparation for the install?

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

Try running the installation file from an elavated Command Prompt, using the msiexec /i command - try that with acceptlicense parameter /quiet flag, etc.

MHibbin
Influencer

Glad that worked for you. I would say that may be one for support.

0 Karma

hilario_almeida

Thanks this worked. I created a batch with all the desired switches and was able to install from elevated command prompt. The strange thing is that I attempted to install from Windows GUI running as another user (with the credentials of the same account used by the batch file) and received the error to install as admin.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...