Getting Data In

Input script processing time greater than trigger interval

King_Of_Shawn
Explorer

I have a problem similar to this: Scripted Input timeout .

In modular input, i use python script to collect data, and in most cases, the single collection takes 10 minutes.

But my interval is set to 5 minutes.

Splunk will run the first one and wait until it finishes to start the next one? Right?

And the missed scheduling will be directly ignored?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct on both counts.

Running every 5 minutes a search that takes 10 minutes makes little sense.  You should change the interval.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct on both counts.

Running every 5 minutes a search that takes 10 minutes makes little sense.  You should change the interval.

---

King_Of_Shawn
Explorer

Thank you for your reply. I have one more question. If i restart the Splunk server in the middle of the running of the modular input script, is there a default checkpoint mechanism for Splunk to restore the last unfinished trigger when the Splunk server start again? or just start a new processing at the next trigger time?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm sure exactly what happens in that scenario, but believe the modular input will simply stop.  When Splunk restarts the modular input will be restarted, but it will not complete any unfinished work unless the script has specific provisions to do so.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...