Getting Data In

How to search for sources with a timestamp pattern

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I want to search for a set of files that end in YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_PID.log format and I want to search on files that match today's date. How would I do that?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Use a regex tool to define/mature your pattern - https://regex101.com/ is great!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

<other parts of base search>  [|noop|stats count AS source|eval source=strftime(now(), "*%Y%m%d_*_*")]
0 Karma

a212830
Champion

Thanks. PID is actually a number, which can vary in length. How would I grab that as well?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Answer updated.

0 Karma

a212830
Champion

Thanks. Not working...

Here is a sample sources:

ORS_MMK_Node2_PR.20160409_224023_783.log
ORS_RTP_Node1_PR.20160409_221411_433.log
ORS_OMA_Node3_PR.20160409_214537_963.log

ORS_MMK_Node1_PR.20160409_212722_403.log

Here's my search:

index=main sourcetype=check_log_permissions RESOURCE_TYPE=file (RESOURCE!="du" AND RESOURCE!="cd") |fields RESOURCE |table RESOURCE | eval file_date=strftime(now(), "%Y%m%d__") |eval mySource="ORS__Node_PR." + file_date + ".log" |where match(RESOURCE,mySource)

Comes back with nothing. If I remove the where clause, it comes back with a bunch. I'd like to be able to search across all the source examples, using wildcards, rather than hard-coding anything.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You didn't tell me that the field in question is RESOURCE. This is why you should ALWAYS post your search strings. I naturally assumed that you were using field source. Try this:

index=main sourcetype=check_log_permissions RESOURCE_TYPE=file (RESOURCE!="du" AND RESOURCE!="cd") [|noop|stats count AS RESOURCE|eval RESOURCE=strftime(now(), "*%Y%m%d_*_*")]
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...