Getting Data In

How to parse the British Pound £ sign for currency fields?

splunkuser_uk

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Splunk and trying to ingest a cav of transactions in GBP in the format £123.45. I have these in a CSV and ideally want them formatted as currency so that I can analyze in Splunk. When the CSV is ingested the fields are displayed as a string not recognizing the £ sign - I've tried various convert options including (auto) and num but not having much luck.

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@splunkuser_uk - Were you able to test out gokadroid's second possible solution? Did it work? If yes, please don't forget to resolve this post by clicking on "Accept". If you still need more help, please provide a comment with some feedback. Thanks!

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

Assuming as per your comments if string £1,838.38 is coming in currency field as \xA31,838.38 then how about trying this:

1. Ensure currency has no commas to start with (if any)
  2. Extract everything after \xA3 from currency field into a new field myCurrency
  3. Format back myCurrency to use the £ symbol as a string.

Try below search which shall give you the results needed as stated above.

your base query to return your currency field
 | rex field=currency mode=sed "s/,//g"
 | rex field=currency "A3(?<myCurrency>.*)"
 | fieldformat myCurrency ="£".tostring(myCurrency , "commas") 
 | stats sum(myCurrency )

Hope it helps. Below is the sample makeresults command i used to verify it was working.
alt text

gokadroid
Motivator

How about trying this and see if it works out, assuming string is coming in currency field as £ 42 or £ 42.0 or £42 :

your base query to return your currency field
| rex field=currency "£\s*(?<myCurrency>.*)"
| fieldformat myCurency="£".tostring(myCurrency, "commas")

See example here

splunkuser_uk

Hi - thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but not having much luck. The problem is the fields in the CSV which contain a currency amount i.e the figure £1,838.38 are being ingested as \xA31,838.38 - the £ symbol is ingested as \xA3 rather than a "£"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...