Getting Data In

How do I clone all data received from one indexer to another indexer?

andrew207
Path Finder

Hello,

I have one indexer cluster that receives data over inputs.conf [splunktcp://9997].

I want to clone all data received by this indexer cluster on this port to another Splunk instance, which also listens on 9997. I understand this will double my license consumption.

Current: UF --> Indexer (stores all data)

Desire: UF --> Indexer (stores all data) --> Other Indexer (also stores all data)

How can I clone all data received on 9997 from one indexer to another?

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @andrew207,

you can create a fork on your UF to send data to both Cluster and additional Indexes.

You have to add a group to outputs.conf, something like this:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup=indexer_cluster,Other_indexer

[tcpout:indexer_cluster]
server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9997

[tcpout:other_indexer]
server=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:9997

In other words, add both the addressing of the Cluster and the other Indexers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

andrew207
Path Finder

Hello @gcusello 

I am performing the cloning from a source indexer, not from a uf. This means there is currently no outputs.conf configured, and your answer does not work.

Thanks

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @andrew207,

if you want to clone all the data of an Indexers sending them to another, you have only to configure your indexers to Forward data to another Indexes and locally store a copy of the files.

You can do this by GUI [Settings -- Forwarding and Receiving -- Forwarding]

It surely runs on a single Indexer, I never tried with a Cluster, but it should run.

Check if configuring for Forwarding only one peer of the Cluster you forward all the data or (as I suppose)  you need to configure all the peers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...