Getting Data In

Files can't be ingested while being in transit via ftp

danielbb
Motivator

The case at https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Issue-on-file-monitoring-using-forwader/m-p/478063#M... is similar.

When files are being ftp'ed to the location we see in _internal errors that the file can't be read. Comes the weekend and this host is being rebooted and the files are being ingested.

We looked at MonitorNoHandle that allows reading while the file is being written on Windows but MonitorNoHandle only allows one such file per stanza.

We asked the customer to ftp the files to another directory and move them later via a script but the customer wasn't thrilled about this idea.

We also thought that maybe there is a way to have the UF check for new files multiple times before putting them in the black list and it doesn't seem to be possible.

What can we do?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...