Getting Data In

File/Directory Information Input app help

R15
Path Finder

@LukeMurphey 

I'm trying to run the File/Directory Information Input app (v1.4.5) on a universal forwarder. It's a windows server and I've installed the latest version of python 3 (and set the app to use 3). I keep getting the same 3 errors in splunkd (copied from another post as my system is isolated):

"09-18-2019 10:47:10.099 +0200 ERROR ModularInputs - Introspecting scheme=file_meta_data: Unable to run "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\file_meta_data\bin\file_meta_data.py" --scheme": child failed to start: The system cannot find the file specified.

09-18-2019 10:47:10.356 +0200 WARN UserManagerPro - Can't find [distributedSearch] stanza in distsearch.conf, using default authtoken HTTP timeouts

09-18-2019 10:47:10.356 +0200 ERROR ModularInputs - Unable to initialize modular input "file_meta_data" defined in the app "file_meta_data": Introspecting scheme=file_meta_data: Unable to run "python "C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\file_meta_data\bin\file_meta_data.py" --scheme": child failed to start: The system cannot find the file specified.."

(Except it says Python3.exe instead of python).

Other posts with these errors did not have python installed, or one said their path environment variable was incorrect but didn't elaborate. My path is set with the 2 default values from the installer if that matters.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

R15
Path Finder

We upgraded splunk then the app to 1.4.6, but kept getting the same errors. The solution was rather silly. It couldn't run python3.exe because the python installer named it python312.exe... renamed and the app started working. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

R15
Path Finder

We upgraded splunk then the app to 1.4.6, but kept getting the same errors. The solution was rather silly. It couldn't run python3.exe because the python installer named it python312.exe... renamed and the app started working. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...