Getting Data In

Figure out what forwarder data came from

jeffbat
Path Finder

I am trying to figure out if there is a query that will tell me which forwarder some of the data I have in my indexers came from.  This question is coming because we have a syslog server that gathers files from multiple servers, and the forwarder on the syslog server reads those syslog and sends to the indexers.  But in doing this it updates the host to be the server that is in each of the files.

What I want to know is which of our syslog servers did the actual forwarding of that data over to the indexer.

Is that data in there metadata somewhere which can be queried?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Forwarding is transparent.  There is nothing that indicates which forwarder(s) handled a given event.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...