Getting Data In

Does Splunk have production-ready REST interfaces to input data?

mahbe
Engager

The title says it, my question is if Splunk supports REST interfaces for simply inputting data.

I read about this topic in http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/33/can-i-inject-events-into-splunk-via-a-script but I have no idea if this is available for productive usage meanwhile. I tried it with the current version of Splunk but my POSTed data didn't show up in Splunk.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mahbe
Engager

For system monitoring or reading logs it might be the right solution using a forwarder. But if I want to input events from within an application directly into Splunk (e.g. for application monitoring) the REST API seems to be a better choice.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

What are you looking to achieve by submitting these through the REST API interface rather than just, say, syslog? Authentication, encryption? You might be better off with using a forwarder that will give you this as well.

0 Karma

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...