Getting Data In

Discard one or more fields of a specific event without losing the rest of the fields of this event?

jfeitosa_real
Path Finder

Hi All,

Please, how to discard one or more fields of a specific event without losing the rest of the fields of this event?

It's possible?

Thank you very much in advance.

James

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those are two fairly small fields. Unless all events contain them, you're likely not saving much by eliminating them. The example I cited removed hundreds of characters from verbose Windows events.

If you still want to do it, the trick is to create a regular expression that parses your event into groups of wanted and unwanted text. Then the FORMAT setting puts only the wanted groups into the event.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

jfeitosa_real
Path Finder

@richgalloway . In my case, they are Fortigate firewall logs.
How would it work if I were to discard the fields srcintfrole = "undefined" and dstintfrole = "undefined" for example.

See log example:

Jan 4 15:02:17 10.1.1.1 date=2019-01-04 time=15:04:13 devname="fwA1" devid="FWA11" logid="0000000010" type="traffic" subtype="forward" level="notice" vd="root" eventtime=1546621453 srcip=10.2.2.1 srcport=54256 srcintf="port1" srcintfrole="undefined" dstip=216.152.102.6 dstport=443 dstintf="port1" dstintfrole="undefined" sessionid=410471 poluuid="1348e-602-5e8-7fb-bfbab974" dstcountry="Brazil" srccountry="Reserved" service="HTTPS" wanoptapptype="web-proxy" proto=6 action="accept" duration=0 policyid=103 policytype="proxy-policy" user="USER1" group="G-Default" wanin=0 rcvdbyte=0 wanout=0 lanin=1418 sentbyte=1418 lanout=2561 appcat="unscanned" utmaction="allow" countweb=1

Thanks!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those are two fairly small fields. Unless all events contain them, you're likely not saving much by eliminating them. The example I cited removed hundreds of characters from verbose Windows events.

If you still want to do it, the trick is to create a regular expression that parses your event into groups of wanted and unwanted text. Then the FORMAT setting puts only the wanted groups into the event.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jfeitosa_real
Path Finder

Just by complementing, it would be a way to reduce the size of the log by reducing license consumption before indexing the events.

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...