Getting Data In

Clone Splunk Indexer?

adalbor
Builder

Hey All,

Off the wall question and was curious if anyone has tried this or not and if its advisable. Looking to add some new indexers (linux) to our cluster and in an attempt to save time our server admin has suggested cloning an existing indexer and performing whatever changes need to be made to hostname, config files, etc.

Two options I see:
1) Clone entire system and use clone-prep-clear-config. Will this even work with an Indexer?
2) Clone entire system and nuke /opt/splunk directory and do a fresh install. Are there any other concerns with this method?

Thanks!
Andrew

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @adalbor,
how much time do you save in this way?
if you'll forget some step in your cloning procedure you'll lose more time than to start with a new Splunk installation!

Ciao.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @adalbor,
how much time do you save in this way?
if you'll forget some step in your cloning procedure you'll lose more time than to start with a new Splunk installation!

Ciao.
Giuseppe

adalbor
Builder

So due to the fact that our Indexers are Azure servers and required quite a bit of OS customization to align with our company's standards, that is why I was bringing this question up. I am not a fan of the idea and understand the pitfalls and potential issues that could occur down the road but wanted to ask just to do my due diligence.

I personally was thinking clone the server then nuke the Splunk installation directory so the sys admin saves time in setup and I can start from a "fresh install". Just wasn't sure if that would take care of all remaining artifacts from the install.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I found problems in past when I had a cluster with old parameters, so I maintain My idea: how much time do you save?

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

adalbor
Builder

Did you perform any type of config cleanup? Did you leave the /opt/splunk/ directory intact?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @adalbor,
you hate to manually modify many configurations:

• hostname in inputs.conf and server.conf;
  • server.conf for cluster,
  • etc...

I cannot be more detailed because I didn't do it because I don't like this idea.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

adalbor
Builder

Ok, thanks for the info Giuseppe. Was just gauging the community to see what my options were and to do due diligence.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...