Getting Data In

Changes to transforms not working

steve543

I am trying to prune some noise from my logs. Here are my props.conf and transforms.conf. Any Idea what I am missing. The dhcpcd messages are still getting through.

# more props.conf
[source::/var/log/hosts]
# Transforms must be applied in this order
# to make sure events are dropped on the
# floor prior to making their way to the
# index processor
TRANSFORMS-set= setnull,setparsing
# vi transforms.conf
[sendmailnull]
REGEX = .*sendmail.*$
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[puppetdnull]
REGEX = .*puppetd.*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[setnull]
REGEX = .*dhcpcd.*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue            
Tags (1)
0 Karma

dmacgillivray
Communicator

Hello, does the above sendmail stanza really remove all sendmail events?? If so, I will be using it.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend
  1. Did you restart Splunk?
  2. Are the events you want to filter in just the source "/var/log/hosts"?
  3. It's really "dhcpcd" and not "dhcpd" you're looking for?
  4. What does setparsing contain? Might it have something that overrides the setnull settings?
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

I don't have a test setup to try this on so I cannot verify how Splunk reacts when you specify a transform that does not exist, however removing the "setparsing" reference in props.conf is definitely one step worth trying.

0 Karma

steve543

Yes, I restart splunk after each edit. Yes, all of the files are in /var/log/hosts. Yes it is dhcpcd. Here is a sample. Nov 2 14:13:33 STORE00046-BACKUP dhcpcd[3207]: usb0: cannot request a link local address. Setparsing actually is not in use anywhere. I grabbed that config from another example in this forum. That may be part of the problem. I read a reference to inputs.conf somewhere but don't understand the link.
I did notice that when I make the changes the volume does seem to drop (but not disappear completely) that day, then after midnight, it seems to go back up again.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...