Getting Data In

Changes to transforms not working

steve543

I am trying to prune some noise from my logs. Here are my props.conf and transforms.conf. Any Idea what I am missing. The dhcpcd messages are still getting through.

# more props.conf
[source::/var/log/hosts]
# Transforms must be applied in this order
# to make sure events are dropped on the
# floor prior to making their way to the
# index processor
TRANSFORMS-set= setnull,setparsing
# vi transforms.conf
[sendmailnull]
REGEX = .*sendmail.*$
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[puppetdnull]
REGEX = .*puppetd.*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[setnull]
REGEX = .*dhcpcd.*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue            
Tags (1)
0 Karma

dmacgillivray
Communicator

Hello, does the above sendmail stanza really remove all sendmail events?? If so, I will be using it.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend
  1. Did you restart Splunk?
  2. Are the events you want to filter in just the source "/var/log/hosts"?
  3. It's really "dhcpcd" and not "dhcpd" you're looking for?
  4. What does setparsing contain? Might it have something that overrides the setnull settings?
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

I don't have a test setup to try this on so I cannot verify how Splunk reacts when you specify a transform that does not exist, however removing the "setparsing" reference in props.conf is definitely one step worth trying.

0 Karma

steve543

Yes, I restart splunk after each edit. Yes, all of the files are in /var/log/hosts. Yes it is dhcpcd. Here is a sample. Nov 2 14:13:33 STORE00046-BACKUP dhcpcd[3207]: usb0: cannot request a link local address. Setparsing actually is not in use anywhere. I grabbed that config from another example in this forum. That may be part of the problem. I read a reference to inputs.conf somewhere but don't understand the link.
I did notice that when I make the changes the volume does seem to drop (but not disappear completely) that day, then after midnight, it seems to go back up again.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...