Getting Data In

App deployment in Splunk 5.0 clustering from a master node

ssankeneni
Communicator

Is it possible to deploy an app from the Splunk master node /master-app/cluster/local to all the peer nodes ?

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As of Splunk 5.0.1, the Cluster Master cannot push apps, the only "app container" that is pushed from the master's $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/master-apps to the slaves' $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/slave-apps is the cluster "app".

As Deployment Server and 3rd party configuration deployment software such as Puppet or Chef are currently unsupported, we will be bringing in the following changes in Splunk 5.0.2 to address this situation:

• The Cluster Master will be able to push apps from its $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/master-apps repository to the slaves' $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/slave-apps.
  • As the "cluster" app in that repository is special, it will be renamed to "_cluster".

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As of Splunk 5.0.1, the Cluster Master cannot push apps, the only "app container" that is pushed from the master's $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/master-apps to the slaves' $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/slave-apps is the cluster "app".

As Deployment Server and 3rd party configuration deployment software such as Puppet or Chef are currently unsupported, we will be bringing in the following changes in Splunk 5.0.2 to address this situation:

• The Cluster Master will be able to push apps from its $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/master-apps repository to the slaves' $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/slave-apps.
  • As the "cluster" app in that repository is special, it will be renamed to "_cluster".

mahamed_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

5.0.2 is available now.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Although we cannot commit to a date, we are hoping to release 5.0.2 early next year.

ssankeneni
Communicator

Thanks for the reply. When can I expect the 5.0.2 ? We installed 5.0 and we planned to use the apps to configure our applications.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...