Deployment Architecture

Question on shell script for linux

darksky21
Path Finder

Hi i am new to splunk and recently just setup a forwarder (Ubuntu system) and a indexer (Window 7).
Would like to use shell script to forward data to indexer but not too sure how i should code the shell script for it to work. For example if i wan to forward info on (ls -l $Home) how should i put it in the script for splunk to read it?

the ls -l $Home should display something like:
drwxr-xr-x 2 test test 4096 Sep 16 17:47 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 test test 4096 Sep 14 16:11 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 2 test test 4096 Sep 14 18:02 Downloads

i tried creating a test.sh with content (ls -l $Home) to test but it does not work.
Really hope someone would give me an example on this thanks.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

amit_saxena
Communicator

Hi,

You can write anything in the shell script. Just remember to make it executable and then use "scripted-inputs" method of data input to call that script.

Check out http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Setupcustominputs#Add_a_scripted_input_via_i... for more details.

Regards,
Amit Saxena

View solution in original post

darksky21
Path Finder

Thanks it works after changing the script to executable

0 Karma

amit_saxena
Communicator

Hi,

You can write anything in the shell script. Just remember to make it executable and then use "scripted-inputs" method of data input to call that script.

Check out http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Setupcustominputs#Add_a_scripted_input_via_i... for more details.

Regards,
Amit Saxena

darksky21
Path Finder

Thanks it works after changing the script to executable

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Make the shell script executable, chmod a+x tesh.sh then configure it in inputs.conf. It works.

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

And also, that may not be the first task you wish to try if you're just starting out. Try monitoring /var/log/messages or some similar log file, which a) has chronological timestamps and b) gets updated fairly often.

/K

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Have you configured inputs.conf to run the script?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...