Deployment Architecture

How to use a temporary Splunk Stand-alone instance to read historic s2 (SmartStore) data?

Glasses
Builder

I have recently created a version 8.0.6 Index cluster with S2 enabled.

When necessary I would like to spin up a temp Splunk Server to read historic data from S2.  A use case could be if there is an incident and the investigators need like 2 years of data out of S2 to forensicate.

We don't want to pull that amount of historic data back into our production cache as it will cause performance issues and shorten the local cache availability.

Does anyone know how to attach a Splunk instance ad hoc to an existing s2 bucket?

I presume the new instance will need all the existing indexes.conf info but I am not sure what else is required.

Please advise.

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure if there is a better way or not, but one option is to transfer the desired data from S2 into the thawed folders on the stand-alone instance.  You will need the indexes.conf info from the production system.

One advantage of using the thawed folder is the stand-alone system will not try to manage the data.  This means the data will remain in place while investigators do their thing and the production S2 will not be affected by anything happening on the stand-alone system.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure if there is a better way or not, but one option is to transfer the desired data from S2 into the thawed folders on the stand-alone instance.  You will need the indexes.conf info from the production system.

One advantage of using the thawed folder is the stand-alone system will not try to manage the data.  This means the data will remain in place while investigators do their thing and the production S2 will not be affected by anything happening on the stand-alone system.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Glasses
Builder

Thank you for the reply.

Followup question:

Looking for docs on "thawing" s2 data into a "thawded directory"...

Have you done this before?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...