Deployment Architecture

How to remove .svn directory from deployed apps?

scsvnovonordisk

We're looking to place our deployment-apps folder on the Splunk deployment server under version control. We're planning on using Subversion for this. Each directory (app, default and local, and so on) each would get a .svn directory for tracking. When deploying the apps to clients, each of those .svn directories would get pushed to clients.

Is there any way to prevent the .svn directories from being part of the app bundles?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've done that a couple of ways, neither of which is perfect.

1) Create a custom build script that tars only the desired directories and ignores the undesired. This delivers the right files, but does merge .conf files the way the Splunk package command does.

2) Use splunk package app foo to do the packaging then delete unwanted files/directories from the .spl file. This merges .conf files, but then the delivered tarball doesn't match the "built" one.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

scsvnovonordisk

Can you elaborate more on how to use a custom build script on a deployment server?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I wrote mine in bash. It was a simple script that checked a couple of prerequisites then passed a list of directories to tar.

---
0 Karma

scsvnovonordisk

Sorry, I meant how did you incorporate it into the deployment server? Can we override how Splunk builds the packages that get deployed to servers?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My script runs on our "build" server. The tarball produced by the script is what gets deployed.

---
0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

hmmm, is Subversion a hard requirement or could you use Mercurial? The problem goes away and you get to use pretty much the same types of version control commands.

0 Karma

scsvnovonordisk

Sadly, a hard requirement... Any tool that doesn't drop a folder at each directory level would work better but its the standard for the team right now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...