Dashboards & Visualizations

Visualization not working after extracting values from raw data

srizan
Path Finder

Raw Value:

logtype=audit 2020-06-15T12:25:52,650| tid:SDFGH3456gtbhjcfdt$%| AUTHN_REQUEST| | 38 | | 123| | asdxc| AS| ss| | | 40 

Query:

index = "PF.log" 
| eval fields=split(_raw,"|")
| eval response=mvindex(fields,13)
| timechart values(response) BY host

I am interested in the last value which is 40 in this example. I tried converting the value tonumber and tried other conversion techniques which doesn't seem to work for some reason. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@srizan you would need to add trim if you are plotting it on chart as regular split with your data will have space around response value. 

| eval response=trim(mvindex(fields,13))

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@srizan you would need to add trim if you are plotting it on chart as regular split with your data will have space around response value. 

| eval response=trim(mvindex(fields,13))

srizan
Path Finder

@niketn Thank you! That worked!! I was using rex to extract the value but this seems to be cleaner approach. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you switch to the Statistics tab do you see data?  Are the _time, response, and host fields present?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

srizan
Path Finder

I was able to work around using rex to extract the value. Still unsure why conversion did not work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...