Dashboards & Visualizations

Summing seems to quadruple the data I'm expecting

mdblr408

Hi, I have a list of jobs that I'm trying to chart by the amount of errors each parent job sees. For some reason, the values in the chart are always quadrupled. For example, I can see 5 errors in the data, but the chart shows twenty. In the end, I want to chart the sum of errors of the child jobs aggregate by their parent id. This is more or less the main idea in the query I've tried variations of : chart sum(job.vals.errors) by job.meta.parentkey | sort - _time. I'm very new to Splunk and after a few hours of going through the docs and reading questions I thought I would reach out to the community for answers. Below if the structure of the jobs I'm trying to chart.

{
                        "name":  "the child job",
                        "vals": {
                            errors: 1,
                            passes: 3
                        },
                        "meta": {
                            "parentkey": 012345
                        }
    }

Thanks for taking a moment to look at this!

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Please give us the entire search language, and "obfuscate" any sensitive information. The chances are pretty good that the problem is in how you are extracting the JSON, rather than the code you showed us.

Given no more information, I would approach that in two steps... first extract each child job into a single record with the fields parentkey, name, errors, passes, then use stats on those records.

Ummm. one possibility is that you have four runs of the data, or four records and are somehow getting a cross join, but no way to tell based on what you showed us.

0 Karma

mdblr408

Thanks for your help. Taking your advice to the best of my knowledge, I used spath to extract the errors and parenKey fields in my search. Once I did this, I was able to use a slightly different chart function successfully. Thanks again for your help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...