Dashboards & Visualizations

How to customize X Axis in time chart?

kell_cena
Engager

Hi All,

I want chart to be created in the below way. The x-axis needs to have date and time like that.

kell_cena_0-1679412889656.png

the chart i am able to create is .

kell_cena_1-1679412932257.png

i tried to do eval strftime to _time but not getting the desired result.

The 1st query I tried - 

index=unix (source=cpu sourcetype=cpu) OR (sourcetype=vmstat) host IN (usaws135000)
| fields _time cpu_load_percent memUsedPct swapUsedPct host
| timechart span=1h eval(round(avg(cpu_load_percent),2)) as CPUAvg eval(round(avg(memUsedPct),2)) as MemoryAvg eval(round(avg(swapUsedPct),2)) as SwapAvg by host useother=t limit=0

The 2nd query i tried - 

index=unix (source=cpu sourcetype=cpu) OR (sourcetype=vmstat) host IN (usaws1350)
| bin span=1h _time
| eval _time=strftime(_time,"%a %b %d %Y %H:%M:%S")
| stats avg(cpu_load_percent) as CPUAvg avg(memUsedPct) as MemoryAvg avg(swapUsedPct) as SwapAvg by _time

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Once you've created the chart, click on the Format icon then switch to the X-Axis tab where you specify the label rotation.  Or you can do so in Simple XML

<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">-90</option>

You may be able to change the time format using the fieldformat command.

index=unix (source=cpu sourcetype=cpu) OR (sourcetype=vmstat) host IN (usaws135000)
| timechart span=1h eval(round(avg(cpu_load_percent),2)) as CPUAvg eval(round(avg(memUsedPct),2)) as MemoryAvg eval(round(avg(swapUsedPct),2)) as SwapAvg by host useother=t limit=0
| fieldformat _time=strftime(_time, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S")

I'm not sure if it's possible to display as many labels as in your example, but this might do it.

<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelVisibility">show</option>

The default of "auto" selectively hides labels to improve readability.

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Viz/ChartConfigurationReference#Area.2C_Bubble.2C... for more

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Once you've created the chart, click on the Format icon then switch to the X-Axis tab where you specify the label rotation.  Or you can do so in Simple XML

<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">-90</option>

You may be able to change the time format using the fieldformat command.

| fieldformat _time=strftime(_time, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S")

I'm not sure if it's possible to display as many labels as in your example, but this might do it.

<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelVisibility">show</option>

The default of "auto" selectively hides labels to improve readability.

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Viz/ChartConfigurationReference#Area.2C_Bubble.2C... for more

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

kell_cena
Engager

Thank you @richgalloway for your answer and the reference link. Much appreciated .

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...