Dashboards & Visualizations

How do I remove links to docs etc when a Splunk instance has no access to the internet?

tlabue
Path Finder

Our instances of Splunk 6.0 will have no access to the internet.

I have already added the following the web.conf:
[settings]
updateCheckerBaseURL = 0
userRegistrationURL =
docsCheckerBaseURL =

to keep Splunk from reaching back.

My question in the Search Dashboard has buttons to get Documentation, Tutorial and in the footer links to the Splunk site. My users are going to try and click these buttons. Is there any way to remove these from the Search dashboard?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see... removing all links to splunk.com from the interface is quite some task, but it's certainly possible. There's no simple way that I know of... for example, the links in the footer are defined in share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/js/views/shared/footer/Master.html (changes require rebuilding the .js files in share/splunk/search\_mrsparkle/exposed/js/build).

Any changes made down there likely won't be supported, and certainly won't survive a Splunk upgrade.
Personally, I'd prefer user education over too much fiddling.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see... removing all links to splunk.com from the interface is quite some task, but it's certainly possible. There's no simple way that I know of... for example, the links in the footer are defined in share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/js/views/shared/footer/Master.html (changes require rebuilding the .js files in share/splunk/search\_mrsparkle/exposed/js/build).

Any changes made down there likely won't be supported, and certainly won't survive a Splunk upgrade.
Personally, I'd prefer user education over too much fiddling.

ggb667

This is a secure system disconnected from the internet. Not an unusual situation at all. The system should be set up to expect to NOT have internet access at all by default. One should need to take a positive action to enable internet extensions for Splunk (and all applications).

0 Karma

tlabue
Path Finder

The servers Splunk is installed on, will not have access to the internet. Client browsers also will not have access to internet. Both are on isolated networks.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is it just going to be the servers that don't have internet access or are the users (= client browsers) shut in as well?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...