Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard auto refresh - best practice

InderSingh1
Explorer

Hi,

Does a dashboard with a setting to refresh every 2 mins mean, there will be a new search launched every 2 mins?

Isn't it a resource consumption, especially when all the users keep on setting their dashboards to refresh without any legit reason?

How can I search all the dashboards which are using this setting so that I can chase those users to remove the refresh setting if not really needed?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends on the dashboard, but most will launch new searches every interval.  An exception is for dashboard panels that use the loadjob command.  Yes, it's a resource consumption and (IMO) auto-refresh dashboards should be discouraged.

Try this search for locating dashboards that use auto-refresh:

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/data/ui/views 
| search eai:data="*<refresh>*" 
| rex field=eai:data max_match=0 "\s<refresh>(?<refresh>\w+)" 
| eval refresh=mvdedup(refresh) 
| table title author eai:acl.app eai:acl.owner refresh description
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends on the dashboard, but most will launch new searches every interval.  An exception is for dashboard panels that use the loadjob command.  Yes, it's a resource consumption and (IMO) auto-refresh dashboards should be discouraged.

Try this search for locating dashboards that use auto-refresh:

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/data/ui/views 
| search eai:data="*<refresh>*" 
| rex field=eai:data max_match=0 "\s<refresh>(?<refresh>\w+)" 
| eval refresh=mvdedup(refresh) 
| table title author eai:acl.app eai:acl.owner refresh description
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...