All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the R Project app not able to find find opencpu?

splunkannm1

I have R (3.3.1) and opencpu (1.6.7) installed on a Linux server and we have R Project app installed on our search head as well as indexer. The Search head has connectivity to the R server via a firewall request. Below are the searches and the resultant errors.

index=sd sourcetype=sd | runRdo script="return(dataset);"
• Could not locate the time (_time) field on some results returned from the external search command 'runrdo'.
: External search command 'runrdo' returned error code 1. Script output = "error_message=TypeError at "/opt/splunk/var/run/searchpeers/-1491865248/apps/ita_r/bin/r_do_call.py", line 38 : float() argument must be a string or a number "

|inputlookup r_test.csv | runRdo script="return(dataset);"

status    session  message
400        0       there is no package called 'ocpu' In call: find.package(pkgname, lib.loc = lib.loc)

For your reference in Linux :

whereis R
R: /usr/bin/R /usr/lib64/R /usr/include/R /usr/share/R /usr/share/man/man1/R.1.gz
whereis opencpu
opencpu: /usr/lib/opencpu /etc/opencpu

Any suggestions ?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gwobben
Communicator

Hi!

Thanks for using the R app. First of all you should not install the app on indexers. The calls to the R server cannot (and should not) be made by multiple machines.

There is a few things to check / debug:
1. Is OpenCPU running? It should run as a webserver on your Linux machine. The way to test this is to get a browser and navigate to http://[address_of_your_Linux_machine]:[port]/ocpu (the port should by default be 8004). You should see the OpenCPU web interface.
2. R will not handle fields with an _ (underscore) very well. You should avoid using them, e.g. by renaming them before sending to R.
3. Give this query a try: | makeresults | eval test = "test" | table test | runRdo script="return(dataset);" (tested and works on my machine). This will make sure it's not your input data that's causing the problem.
4. Make sure you've configured the R app properly (in your local or default folder, look for rsetup.conf and make sure it contains the url of the machine that runs OpenCPU (http://[address_of_your_Linux_machine]:[port])

I hope this helps...

Gijs

View solution in original post

0 Karma

habib_hussain

Hi Gjis,

Does this work only for R server? I tried R studio and it seems, its not working.

Thanks,
Habib
,Hi Gjis,

Can I use R studio instead of R server?
Seems like it does not work for R studio. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Habib

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@habib_hussain This question is over a year old with an accepted answer so it is effectively ended. Please post a new question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

gwobben
Communicator

Hi!

Thanks for using the R app. First of all you should not install the app on indexers. The calls to the R server cannot (and should not) be made by multiple machines.

There is a few things to check / debug:
1. Is OpenCPU running? It should run as a webserver on your Linux machine. The way to test this is to get a browser and navigate to http://[address_of_your_Linux_machine]:[port]/ocpu (the port should by default be 8004). You should see the OpenCPU web interface.
2. R will not handle fields with an _ (underscore) very well. You should avoid using them, e.g. by renaming them before sending to R.
3. Give this query a try: | makeresults | eval test = "test" | table test | runRdo script="return(dataset);" (tested and works on my machine). This will make sure it's not your input data that's causing the problem.
4. Make sure you've configured the R app properly (in your local or default folder, look for rsetup.conf and make sure it contains the url of the machine that runs OpenCPU (http://[address_of_your_Linux_machine]:[port])

I hope this helps...

Gijs

0 Karma

splunkannm1

Thank you Gijs, #4 was the issue. I had the ocpu/library after the address for the rsetup.conf. Removed it and it works.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...