All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk on Windows - error 'cscript' is not recognized

duncanuno
Explorer

I have just installed Splunk on Windows 2008R2 and wish to collect Netflow data - installed Netflow Integrator.

When attempting to configure "Netflow Integrator Server Configuration" I get an error just below "Netflow Integrator Server Status" and just above the 3 icons for Start, Stop and Restart

Error
'cscript' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

No helpful errors generated that I can find. Server has been restarted more than once, no difference.
Any ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

NetFlow_Logic
Contributor

Cscript.exe is a command-line version of the Windows Script Host that provides command-line options for setting script properties. Please check that you have it here %systemroot%\system32\cscript.exe.

Then make sure the “NetFlow Integrator” user (Splunk user) has access rights to run it.

If you require any additional assistance, please submit a request at:
https://netflowlogic.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new

View solution in original post

0 Karma

NetFlow_Logic
Contributor

Cscript.exe is a command-line version of the Windows Script Host that provides command-line options for setting script properties. Please check that you have it here %systemroot%\system32\cscript.exe.

Then make sure the “NetFlow Integrator” user (Splunk user) has access rights to run it.

If you require any additional assistance, please submit a request at:
https://netflowlogic.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new

0 Karma

duncanuno
Explorer

I have created another machine with fewer restrictions and resolved this problem. Will have to spend some time to work out why additional security restrictions on server have broken the execution of cscript.exe when all appears to be in order.

duncanuno
Explorer

Thanks for that.

Environment variables appear correct -
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Running in a non AD windows server, logged in a local admin

Confirmed that cscript.exe has read & execute permission for Splunk user

Will pursue the permissions angle

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...