On my Splunk Enterprise standalone installation, I have installed a number of things, starting with SE (Splunk Security Essentials), which I played a round with at first. It worked just fine. Now I've installed a few other things, and when I came back to SSE to run its Detect Spikes Assistant, the "Enter Search" text box does not appear. At first I suspected interference from some other add-on, so I've disabled a number of those and restarted Splunk. But to no avail. I've kept CIM and Python for Scientific Computing.
I need help diagnosing the problem.
Do me a favor and first make sure you’re running the most recent version (there were bugs that would cause this when Splunk 7 first came out, but I believe I fixed all of those bugs as of a few weeks ago).
Assuming you're running the latest version, I definitely should connect and see what's going on. I'll reach out to you offline to follow-up.
As you suggested, selecting https://:8000/en-US/_bump and clicking the Bump version button (to bump the version up from 0 to 1) seems to have worked. Mind you, the system was rebooted before that for different reasons, and that could be part of the solution too.